Tuesday 23 February 2016

220. Vegan Yumminess

Staedtler Fineliner (0.8, I think) and
Faber Castell markers on photocopier paper
Short version:
After I'd written out the ingredients in the dish, I found myself absent-mindedly sketching it so decided to get out my markers and add some colour.

Detail
Explanation:
We're currently in the middle of another Alpha course and each week we give the participants a hot two-course meal so they can come straight from work without worrying about what to eat.

We discovered in week 3 that we have two other vegetarians on board - one had simply written "no pork/beef" under 'dietary requirements' on the registration form but the other had put nothing at all. Consequently, we noticed they were just eating the veg!

We have a great catering team who will turn their hands to anything but guess who forgot to pass on the information?! My excuse is that I was told on my way to do something else. Anyway, I remembered on the morning of Week 4 - in the shower!!! I had a little panic and told my husband (who, unusually, happened to be at home that day) and, in his own inimitable way calmly said "I can cook something if you want…!" He regularly cooks for me - an almost total vegan these days, although he'll eat almost anything (except eggs and black pudding - yuk!) - so we went shopping for fresh ingredients and put this dish together, which he then named "Courgette and Mandarin Cassoulet". We served it with rice.

Our friends adore and regularly request his food (he has a PhD in Biochemistry so has experimented over the years with food and flavours - look at the ingredients!) and this was totally yummy!

4 comments:

  1. What a yummy recipe, but your sweet sketch is even yummier!! A cookbook on the horizon for you and your hubby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. I must say I have thought about it…

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious, love the sketch!! What a talented couple you guys are. xxx

    ReplyDelete