Friday 25 October 2013

48. Mini Master - On the Beach


Acrylic on watercolour paper, 3" x 2"

This is one of my 'mini masters'; it is Edouard Manet's On the Beach, which he painted in 1873.  (In my Sketchbook Scribbles, I accidentally titled it 'At the Beach'.)  I was surprised that it was taking me as long to do as if it had been larger but realised that it was because I was trying to get it as accurate as possible because it's a fairly well-known painting. The frame itself is 8" x 6"; had I stuck to the correct ratio of the frame, the long side of the painting would have had to have been about 2.5" but instead I stuck to the ratio of the original Manet painting - I think I got away with it.

(The beady-eyed amongst you will notice that I've re-posted the image.  This is because I clean forgot to acknowledge Manet in the first photograph.)

No comments:

Post a Comment