Saturday 5 April 2014

90. Gallery Sketches: Anthony van Dyck


After Anthony Van Dyck (to whom it is attributed),
Sketch of Drunken Silenus being supported by Satyrs,
Derwent Watersoluble Sketching, Light, and Derwent Onyx Dark


The painting is in an elaborate frame with large flourishes at the halfway points, horizontally and vertically. One of the tutors suggested we start at the centre of the painting with Silenus then use those points on the frame as a guide, the way you'd use a grid when squaring up.

The session was full and the two preceding talks were excellent as ever. We were asked to draw the whole scene and quite a few people managed it, including tones, etc. I was being too nit-picky to start but then I got going. To be honest, I am happy with what I got down; I am really grateful for these sessions which provide an opportunity to refresh my art history and work from masters' paintings. At the end, we lay out and compare our efforts and we all agree that our drawing has improved because of these sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment