Tuesday 18 February 2014

74. Colour Mixing: RT Rembrandt - Permanent Yellow Light


Oil on paper, 9" x 12"

I've been creating colour mixing charts in oil (as per Monsieur Schmid, even though I don't own his wonderful-looking book); it is feeding my methodical side (nerdy? OCD? :D :D :D). Seriously though, I do these every few years to remind myself how many mixes can be obtained from just a few key colours. This time, I used my bargain pack of RT Rembrandt primaries plus white.

The mixes on the top row are pure Permanent Yellow Light, Permanent Yellow Light with a touch of Permanent Red Medium, PYL with a touch of Ultramarine Blue and PYL with a touch of both PRM and UB; on each chart that particular 'primary' is dominant in each of the mixes.  Going down each column, I've used increasing amounts of white to create tints.

I used a tiny palette (painting) knife to mix and apply the paint swatches. The number of possible variations never ceases to amaze me.  (I will also post the red and blue palettes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment